Harry Reid is the senior Senator from Nevada, and the current Majority Leader. Reid has supported legislation to combat climate change. He famously claimed to reporters in 2007 that the fires in California were partially caused by global warming, though later he downplayed his remarks. He is supportive of the Senate version of the cap-and-trade bill.
- “As you know, one reason that we have the fires burning in Southern California is global warming. One reason the Colorado Basin is going dry is because of global warming.”
- “Coal makes us sick. Oil makes us sick. It’s global warming. It’s ruining our country. It’s ruining our world.”
- “Over the course of human civilization, and growing exponentially since the Industrial Revolution, we have burned billions upon billions of tons of fossil fuels and thrown the waste carbon into the atmosphere. We have taken it from the earth and put it into the sky. That has caused the earth to have a fever – a fever that is growing worse, not better.
“All of that excess carbon in the atmosphere far surpasses the atmosphere’s natural ability to handle. We now know with great certainty that this process has caused average global temperatures to rise. It is making the oceans more acidic and altering planetary biochemistry. As the amount of carbon we put into the atmosphere continues to rise, the risk to our planet and our way of life grow more and more dangerous.” Source
- “By 2025, our window of opportunity may well be closed. The tipping point that scientists fear – the time at which the environmental impact of global warming becomes severe and irreversible – may have been reached by then.”
- A supporter of S.1733 – Clean Energy Jobs and American Power Act