Leonardo DiCaprio is an actor who has become a leading environmental activist. He produced and starred in a film about the dangers of climate change, 11′th Hour. This film led to the creation of an environmental action website, 11thhouraction.com. He also founded the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation in 1998, which works to “expand global awareness of environmental issues”.
- “Our planet’s alarm is going off, and it is time to wake up and take action!” Source
- “The problem is we are pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster than the land and seas can absorb it, the accumulating gas is trapping heat and upsetting the world’s climate.” Source
- “I urge individuals around the world to stand up, and ask local leaders, if they haven’t already, to pledge to purchase cleaner cars, build green facilities, and buy green power like wind or solar energy. Our actions may determine if we become a casualty in the war for a habitable planet for generations to come.”
- “Our fresh water and oceans are being polluted, soils are eroding, rivers are running dry, wetlands are disappearing, fisheries are collapsing, rangelands are deteriorating, temperatures are rising, coral reefs are dying, and not since a meteor hit the Earth 65 million years ago have so many species of plants and animals become extinct in such a short time.” Source
- Produced and starred in the film 11′th Hour which proclaims climate change as the most serious environmental problem in existence.